When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Fun, Frustration, and....Fantasticness?(I love alliteration)

Okay!
Mom and Dad..first and foremost I want to let you know I am not dead or lost or anything crazy. Im in Japan and Im fine. I love you both and miss you terribly! That goes for about everyone.

So now its time for a really quick update since Im paying for this interenet cafe time...

As you all know things in San Fransisco were wonderful! Catherine dropped me and Andrew off at the airport and we thanked her and said goodbye. Easy as pie. Of course..we had no idea that airports hate my life(it is very possible they hate all life and are out get everyone...however). We get inline to get our boarding passes and manage to beat a great rush...fantastic. But when we get to the desk Northwest claims our reservations have never been made and we have to be put in standbye though the flight is already oversold. I begin freaking though thankfully Andrew remains calm. His mom(who I called frantically and I now wish to apologize too) called delta who called us and we tried to figure things out though Mr.Rish the supervisor at the desk was completely unhelpful and rude. It really upset me how uncaring he was. I mean...even if there is nothing he can do he could at least be nice about it.

In any case..things got straitened out but if any of you were wondering why i didn`t call you at the airport that is why. It put us a little behind schedule.

The flight wasnt bad. I watched Mulan and just my luck and the food was actually good though they were extremely tiny portions. We got trhough the airport alright and the Sophia student who picked me up was named Motoi. She was nice and spoke english which was good because I was exhausted and couldnt even think! She took me to the station near my host familys house and okaasan(my host mom) picked me up there. She seemed nice right off the bat but the first thing she asked me was if I was tired. Only she used a word for tired I didnt know(I onlyknow nemui which is actually sleepy) and then she started speaking english. I was very frustrated with myself for being unable to at least attempt Japanese. When we got to the house she introduced me to my little brother, Otoosan(hose dad), and her mother. Manami(my host sister) wasnt home. Then she said I could go to sleep. She did this all in english so I think she thought and may still think I know hardly any Japanese...this isnt far from the truth I guess but it was frustrating. I felt very much like a disapointment and failure so when I went to my room I did..sadly and embarrasingly...start crying. Not for long though. Just enough to calm down. I decided I could try harder in the morning.

By the way. My host families house is great! As is my room. They are all very nice.
I was worried Manami would be the kind of person who is never home but it turns out she has a part time job she works late and she is in college as well. She was there the next morning. her and okaasan are the only ones who speak english and I was happy because they did still try to speak Japanese to me. They are very good about saying everyhting japanese first though Manami is better at speaking slower when I ask. They are all so nice. Althogh he hardly says anything to me Otoosan is always the one who gives me yogurt with my breakfast. and manami and okaasab\n are so cute together. I think they think Im cute too. They both loved my gift and it turns out Manami went ot the CNN center as a child so she found that picture in the book.

They have also had host students before which is why I think they must be comfortable around me despite my shyness and lack of ability. Okaasan and Manami are going to Seatle in october so Ill be alone with Otoosan and the brother(I feel awful I cant remember his name right now)! Also...next semester a student from san fransisco who stayed with them before is goig to be staying with us in the spring for the whole semester. I think its very cool!

Plus they have this incredibly adorable dog whose name is June(i think).
So all in all the family is great! Oh! Last night was my first dinner with Okaasan(everyone else was at work). We talked a lot in japanese(good for me!) and the food was delicous! SO good!

Yesterday was also orientation and the placement test at sophia. The university is great looking and the test wasnt so bad...I think Ill be alright. There are all levels of speakers in the foreign exchange studetns so I dont feel so bad about my ability. I also saw one of the students form orientation today when I went to register for my alien registration card thing...turns out she lives near(well...closer than most) so maybe Ill get to know her once classes start and we can hang out.

I havnt explored much yet but today Ive been walking around Kamata, where I had to get my alien registration(I love that!). It turns out that Ota is like a sort of suburb of this district which is a sort of suburb of tokyo. Or something. Tomorrow Im meetng andre in shibuya so we can buy cell phones and walk around. We may also go to harajuku! Im so excited. Classes dont start till october first so I hve time to rest and look around,

oh! Rachel! the adapters you gave me suck! none of them are what I need so thats why Im not sure if I have internet at home or not. its okay tyhough. as soon as I find out youll all know! Right now Im an an internet cafe and the keyboard is a little wierd so sorry if its sloppy! Im gonna buy the right adapter and then ask my parents about internet. well see.

things are great here...Ill write more soon...I promise!
(boy am _I terrible at Japanese though..speaking at least^.^)
Muc love!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I would comment like 2 seconds after you wrote this. How lame am I?? I'm so excited for you and it sounds like things are off to a great start. I can't wait till you get the internet figured out so I can skype you/stalk you...haha. Athens is just not the same without you. I wish I was there!! I'm over this whole school thing...eee, well miss u a ton and love u a ton!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay...you updated! I swear I must have checked this thing every hour for the last two days, LOL. Everything sounds wonderful, especially the family, which you know, I was worried about. Did I ever tell you that when I got to my first duty station while in the Navy, I broke down and cried like a baby? True story. The shock and instant change of it all. My point is, you're normal ;) Glad you're getting in the groove of things.

We are going to Savannah this weekend to see Alec's play. Of course, we'll hit the riverboat and play a little poker while there. LOL

Love you lots and missing you already!

xoxo Mom

5:39 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Ja! I beat you and mom, I didn't break down until a week after I got there, and I didn't even have luggage or anything! Im just kidding!!!! It makes me so happy to read about this! Im sorry the adapters didnt work, i guess they were all european... sucks cause Ill probably need them this winter... oh well. Anywho, I really miss you like crazy and I can't wait to hear more from you!

I love you so much!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, on the plus side, any problems you experience on the front end of a trip tend to cancel out the problems on the back end of a trip. So in about a year, you should have an easy voyage back to the states!

Yeah, that means so much....

Good luck in Tokyo, and have a fun time!

~Rev

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds so great... save that first night, in your host's home. Do you actually call them okaa-san and Otoo-san? That is so freaking adorable.

You make me what to go so badly! I'm so happy that you are there, experiencing it all. Sucking it all in. (Don't gloat when you get back!!)

Talk to geisha while there!! SQUEE

♥♥♥

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zinka,

Its good to know you have arrived Japan safely apart from the hassled you have to go thru at the airport.. Hopefully the rest of your time there will be awesome and good.. keep us update yeah.. and dont forget.. lotsa piccies.. :)

Luv,
Skylah

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home