When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Kamata

Well..i decided I should write about my trip to Kamata yesterday.

first and foremost my information about the area was indeed wrong. Kamata is just the sort of center of Ota which is actually the big areas name. My family lives in a small part of Ota(called Higashi Yukigaya). I really like where my family lives.

So....
Kamata is only a few trainstops away from Senzouike(the trainstop near my families house). But on the way there I had to get off at a random station. I asked my host mom about it(in Japanese no less) and she replies(in english becsuse I couldnt understand what she was saying in Japanese) that the station i got off at was the train house. I guess that makes sense.

anyway..I continued on to Kamata. This is where the Ota City Hall building is wich is where I get my alien ID card. I also had to get pictures taken. Okaasan said that there would be a picture booth nearby outside a convience store. Im a little worried about this because Im thinking one of those cutesy pictures booths...surely you all know the ones with cute backgrounds and stuff where 20 people try to all squeeze in? well...I thought she nust be talking about one of those but no! turns out in Japan they have picture booths where you can take color or black and white passport or id photos for only 700¥(around 6 dollars). Crazy, right!? I thought it was great anyway and so convienient. America should definatly have them. In anycase...I got my picture and applied for my ID and things were great. I also saw another Sohpia exchange student at the office. She lives nearbye! so maybe we will get to be friends and can hang out or something....wouldnt that be great?

So i spent some time walking around kamata. i found my first shopping arcade(a mall sort of area) and this internet cafe. Theres this kind of pretty river and a lot of shops. Also..the thing i saw most was hair salons. seriously there was one on every corner! and they have kentucky fried. Im tempted to try it out...see wha it tastes like but I never really ate it at home so I wouldn`t even know what it should taste like.

I also got my first couple of tissue packets. In Tokyo business` will hand out tissue packets with ads on them outside stations and buildings and such. I already got three diffenrt kinds..after 2 hours! it is very funny to me.

it didnt take long for me to get hungry and tired so I decided to go home and buy a snack at the local grocery store. They had these koala treats that I love! I boght some and a water and went home and anpped until Okaasan got home. I was tired because I keep waking up at 3 in the morning!(i did better this morning).

Aparently thursdays is pasta night according to okaasan so we had spaghetti and it was good. then I showed her some pictures though I only had the ones in the album sara gave me. She wants to see more so hopefully when my computer is powered up again I can show her more. also..Sara and Mom and Dad...maybe you guys could send me some more? they especially want to see the family...the dogs and cats...atlanta city and my university.

Then manami and okaasan showed me their pictures. They have both been to america a few times visitiing old exchange students. I hope they want to visit me after I leave. Mom...would you like that?

hah...well..I managaed to stay up till 10:30 last night. Ive been so tired but Ive been trying to get on the right schedule.

Now Im off to Sophia to meet andrew and then we go to Shinjuku to go shaopping(cell phones and such).

Oh..one last thing.
I think...aside from the night I got into town this si the first morning Ive been really really homesick again. I just really wanted to go downstairs and find my house so that I wouldnt have to worry about speaking Japanese. It made me sad to feel that way too becaus eI like it here. I know its normalthough...I just really missed my family this morming. It may have been becaus ebeforeI went downstairs I read the V for Vendetta comic. Since it is in english it is very soothing to read. No stress if Im only trying to read english!
anyway..I feel better now but I thought I should mention it.

Much Love!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ganbatte ne, Jessica! I'm glad to hear that you're settling in well, and don't let it get you down that you don't understand a lot of what's going on around you. Understanding will come naturally with time, and you've got a whole year in which to improve. It's fortunate that you're able to communicate with at least some members of your family in English, as that can help a lot when you're frustrated. Just remember to try to say whatever you can in Japanese, that's the way to improve. Hey, at least you didn't get grilled by a panel of japanese guys interviewing you for a dorm, that sounded pretty rough. Keep it cool, and take pictures!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm going to get some koala treats this weekend at the Japanese bookstore then it will be like we're hanging out...right?

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie :) The homesickness will fade as you get more comfortable in your surroundings and with the language. You'll make friends, because that's what you always do, and before you know it, Japan will feel more like home. And...and...just when you can't stand it anymore, a little bit of home will come to you! Reading your blog makes me even more excited about going in February. Oh, and just to drive you a little crazy...I have a surprise for you ;)

Love you!

xoxo Mom

8:32 PM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

First.... I love you so much and I have been thinking of you all of the time.

Second... Im gonna send you some pictures, maybe ones you have and maybe ones you don't have... we will see.

My skype is thesweeble, but I added you so you should have it. Im sorry you are homesick, but its gonna get eaisier I promise... but there will always be those days. Dont worry, we are missing you too... maybe we are even thinking of each other at the exact same time! And if you want you can call me (don't tell dad!).

Smoochies my beautiful twin!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I am so envious...I can't even begin to tell you. I'm so freak'n jazzed for you and your adventure...I'll be checking this blog to follow and enjoy your journey! Safe travels...XXOO UT

10:29 PM  
Blogger Wev said...

Hiiiii Zinka, It's RivaOni from PO.

Sounds like your having a nice time, even if everything does feel confused.

Homesickness is normal, I still miss my hometown, and I moved away from there 4 years ago, you're in a completely different country.

It sounds like you have at least one comfort item in V for Vendetta, try not to read it too often, this will only make the homesickness worse, just read it when your feeling a little angsty. :)

2:12 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

You guys are all so great!
I miss you all but its great to see comments from you. more updates shortly..and finally...some pictures!!!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home