When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Okaasan and Manami return home!

Wow...just wow.
I'll get to that.
So, for those that didn't know Okaasan and Manami were away in Seatle visiting three of their former host sudents (coincindently they all live near each other). So during this week I spend time with Otoosan and Naoto. Now, they know less english than I know Japanese. But I wasn't worried because I've developed a sort of nonverbal speech with otoosan. Still. The week required much excersizing of my japanese thought. I know my listening skills improved but since I am quiet, as are naoto and otoosan I didn't really feel like I was talking too much. I must say, I really like my host father. I mean. Don't get me wrong. I love my host mom and manami, but Otoosan just is so sweet and quiet and sort of in the background...it's adorable! and he's really really nice. Like I said, he sort of reminds me of Grandpa Joe.
In any case, the week went fine and Otoosan was even impressed with the kanji I used in phone emails to let him know when I was getting home later.

Okaasan and Manami got home yesterday. They told me about the trip and showed me pictures and everything. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. Manami got me some gum and a little halloweeb stuffed bear. Cute! Mom, sorry to inform you but Okaasan bought a waffle maker. I guess, like you, she just can't turn down a good deal. Maybe there is some other sort of "maker" you can get and show her how to use.
Here's the wow part. During dinner today I was talking to okaasan. And we weren't talking about anything to dramatic or difficult. Just how today was and what I'm doing tomorrow night and next week's Tokyo Film Festival. The really wow thing was that I was talking in all Japanese. I mean, not my typical stumbly sort of way where I end up saying it in english anyway but all in Japanese. And okaasan totally understood it all and I understood her. It was such a great feeling! I'm not saying I'm starting to understand everything and I suddenly have it down like pat but my Japanese is improving! Even okaasan said so. She was so pleased and I felt really good. I think my japanese class is really helping because although we arent learning much stuff I don't know, we are practicing far more speech and repitition. I'm still learning things, and my writing is good but my speech and confidence when I speak is improving so much! It's very encouraging. It just makes me very happy! I can't wait till I can understand television shows and the news!

A few notes before I sign off:
1-Sara, I received your package!
2-Rae, I had this delicous fish and you'd have loved it....simple but amazing!
3-Dad, do you know about the director Ozu? If not you need to see his movies. one would be Tokyo Story, plus he did a lot of silent films. Also, I saw Roshomon...(obviously this is all because of my cinema class you would love)...by AKira Kurosawa...I really didnt like it. I'm gonna watch it again just to be sure but it was disapointing. Still, when I get back to the states I think I want an Ozu collection and a Kurosawa collection.
4-To all you guys...its very hard not to walk home at night considering it gets dark here at 5:30ish and I get out of class at 4:45 and dont get home till...6:00. Sorry but it's the way it is.
5-Jessie...there was something I wanted to tell you but I can't rmember...
6-Andrew has been helping me keep up with my American shows (gilmore girls, grey's anatomy, project runway, etc)...hah hah. Season finale of project runway. I totally called it. Sorry to rub it in your face girls (caitlin, sara, rachel) but I was so right. Still...it's funny that our first big oversees argument was about this show. Im so happy Jeffrey won!
7-oh...and Im showering more regularly now... I still think it's hilarious that I've gotten so many responses to that post.

I think that's it...Im so happy right now!!!
Much Love!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Project Runway...I agreed with the outcome...although I wish Uli could have won too! I'm going to try and at least send a package a month, I mean it's always fun to get mail! Hopefully next year you can introduce me to some new Japanese movies and since I have a dvd addiction, I'll buy them all and then we'll have the sweetest collection everrrrrr
<3, honeybear

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear hear you rattling away in Japanese when I get there!

Bummer about the waffle maker...keep your eyes and ears open for another kind of gadget she might like.

Mailed everything today...finally.

Love you bunches!
Mom

8:53 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Im really not so attached to prject runway, but you know I havent been watching gilmore girls because of class, can I get your or andrews help with that?

Love you!

PS: I want to get a gift for your family too!!!!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Im really not so attached to prject runway, but you know I havent been watching gilmore girls because of class, can I get your or andrews help with that?

Love you!

PS: I want to get a gift for your family too!!!!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had the pleasure of watching any of Ozu's movies.

Rashomon: Kurowasa loved film noir. Rashomon is film noir dressed in japanese period costume. It really is a phenomenal movie, but noir is an aquired taste. Noir is best to watch on a quiet Saturday afternoon on the big screen in the dark, or on a lonely Friday night, in bed, with a box of special fried rice and a couple of cold beers.

Love! Dad!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jessica! i'm so glad you feel like you're understanding and talking better. it's such a good feeling when you realize you can understand what they're saying on tv or what people are saying, or the music or whatever without having to put your complete attention to it. i remember the first song i just realized i understood when i wasn't even focusing on the lyrics.

and it's so awesome to finish saying something and realize it was all in french... er... japanese, and be like. dude! i just said that!

I was glad jeffrey won. i mean, he had a great story and stuff. buuut, i liked uli's stuff a lot too. and laura was just doing something completely different than the rest of them, and granted, maybe she does it a lot, but it was still really good. and michael is michael... he was the fan favorite, but yeah.. jeffrey was good. they all had such different styles, it was fun.

oh, and i missed gilmore girls this week!! how the heck do i watch it?! it never reruns, and i'm very upset.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

download it..ask your brother for help...and rae...you'll have to get andrew to help you figure that one out. And for those of you interested in my views on project runway then check out sara's post on the subject and my response. My prediction was jeffrey, uli, laura, micheal...for all the same reasons as the judges. And I loved Uli's collection too. It was beautiful...they are all going to have big careers!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad your Japanese is improving. I bet you're fluent in a month. Or something. I don't really know how long it takes to become fluent - I've only been living in a bilingual city for a year, after all. Anyway, I miss you, and we will have so much marathoning to do this summer, it's ridiculous! -Alice

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you!!!

Yay for the smooth Japanese.

Just don't let your mind get confused about who you actually are! ^_-

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww jess yay! you'll probably be fluent before you know it! oh and we watched kurosawa and ozu in my film class! haha. love ya! -caitlin

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home