When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Jiyugaoka


So...like I said. This past weekend a good portion of Japan was celbrating Sports Day. The thing at Andrew's dorm, as far as I know, is a once a year thing. Maybe more...lets hope so!

But elsewhere in Tokyo people were celebrating...and mostly, as far as I could tell, by buying stuff.
Okaasan took me to Jiyugaoka which seems to be the sort of "little france" of Tokyo. We rode bikes there and the ride was marvelous. It was relaxing and beautiful and just a lot of fun. I tend to get a little stressed riding bikes in the states so it was nice.

Jiyugaoka is full of little shops for clothing and food, most have french names, and they've got a very authentic crepe shop as well(I think the guy there is french). On this particular weekend(we went both sunday and monday) many of the shops were having really good sales. They'd put some stuff right outside their door, mark it down and crowds ensued. Also, at the little Jiyugaoka shrine they had a large garage sale type event. Here items were the cheapest. It was very fun. Manami is really good at barganing with these people as well.

I bought some clothing...all very cheap and cute. Thwe whole thing was a lot of fun.
Some pictures of Jiyugaoka:



Oh..and at the shrine I got a really big kick out of seeing one of the women who take care of it...in traditional garb. Jessie, you'll like this picture(too bad its blurry).



And also...at Jiyugaoka and in the train station on the way to andrew's dorm...there were performers...randomness I just don't understand^.^




So that was Sports Day weekend in full.
Yay!
Peace
^.^

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great pictures!!!

Have you gotten used to being there, yet? Do you think you will ever, if you're not?

It sounds fantastic.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice not to have the stress of riding bikes, like it is here in the states. I'm glad you got to enjoy it.

Is Manami teaching you her bargaining skills??

xoxo Mom

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home