When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Some easy days in which to relax…Plus…Culture Note #1

So the past few days have been fairly chill. I had to go to Sophia a couple times to take care of some minor details and now that’s all done. I also finally got to see Andrew’s dorm, Wakeijuku, and have uploaded the pictures I took there in an album. I also uploaded some random pictures I’ve been taking...nothing particular though. I also showed Andrew some of Kamata and Senzokuike. He liked both places and we both managed to spend a fair amount of money in bookstores (manga is very cheap here) and gamestores (Andrew’s favorite new game just came out). The best book store is, by far, Book Off. It’s basically a used bookstore where you can buy manga at 150 to 250 yen. Fabulous! (That is some seriously cheapness right there!) Okaasan and I have been doing a fair amount of bonding and I may be making dinner next Thursday (Speghetti…thanks mom! And to all you Morris Folk…yes I am actually going to do it this time). Thursdays are past night but Okaasan just buys jar sauce. I thought I could maybe show her how to make the sauce…even though I’ve never done it. Okaasan also says my Japanese is getting a bit better and I know what she means. I’m defiantly listening better and can understand more. Speaking is still difficult but I think classes will help that. Speaking of which, Classes start on Monday and I am PUMPED! I’m totally excited. Expect a very long post that day.

That’s about all for now...except for…

Culture Note #1
I figured a part of my blog should sort of be trying to impart some Japanese culture knowledge on my beloved readers (meaning friends and family). Today’s culture note is:

The Most Commonly Used Japanese Words
(from what I’ve heard in the past two weeks)
-and please excuse my romanji…it’s not perfect

1) Kawaii- meaning cute. Seriously, Manami says it all the time and walking down most streets with stores you can here this constantly. Sure, it’s mostly used by women but even Naoto will say it(though mostly to make fun of okaasan and manami).

2) Suki or suki desu ka? (pronounced ski)-This means to like or do you like…maybe only foreign exchange students whose host family is trying to get to know them here this. But I somehow doubt it. It seems like the whole family is constantly talking about what they do or don’t like.

3) Sugoi- meaning amazing. And everyone thinks everything is amazing. My ability to use chopsticks is amazing. The Asahi building is amazing. Manami’s handmade skirt is amazing and most embarrassingly my drawings are amazing. I like this word though and I like that my family is amazed by everything. It kind of reminds me of…well…me.

4) Takai-can mean either tall or expensive. And both meanings are used a lot. But this kind of makes sense since a lot of things in Japan aren’t cheap.

5) Atsuii and samuii-meaning hot and cold. Used for weather, drinks, etc. There is always a declaration of this in the afternoon and morning for the weather and if you’re eating something a little too hot there is always an “atsuii desu ne!”

6) Totemo- Means very.... Put it before any adjective and there you go.

7) Daijoubu?- Pretty much means are you alright or is this okay. Like when I feel in the noodle shop.

8) Ii tenki desu ne.- on sunny days okaasan will look out the window and say this. It means “good weather”.

9) Kireina- beautiful. For people, parks, water, drawings, etc etc. Like Kawaiia and sugoi it is a very common adjective. I’m okay with this though because I also think everything is beautiful.

10) Aaaah, or oooooh..or the like- not really words but I have found that a lot of conversation is done in noises...knowing noises, amazed noises, question noises. I even do this a lot. It gets to be kind of fun.

Well…these are the words I have heard the most. I don’t know if its just because Im new or something but I wouldn’t find it hard to believe that most Japanese people use theses words a lot. At least from game shows and even the news I often here these words as well. Its really fun though.

Peace and Love!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the culture note! and I love you!
<3, Sara

8:30 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Um, Im totally talking to you right now and I love it!
We are so cultural Jess, its so cool...
I miss you and I want to give you a big old hug!
I love you!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...ahhhh...you are Kireina :)

I know, I know, I probably just butchered that, but the sentiment is the same. I love these language tips!

xoxo Mom

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home