When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

TODAY(actually yesterday)

So from now on Saturday, the 30th will forever be known as TODAY.

Why? Because it was probably my first really really frustrating day in Japan that had nothing to do with speaking Japanese at all.

Here's what happened.
Andrew and I were going to spend the whole day exploring Ueno Park. Then the nearby areas Yanaka and Ameyoko. I was very excited because there are a lot of temples, shrines, and museums in this area. I knew it would be fun.

So I told andrew we should meet at Ueno station. Only, I just said let's meet inside the station since I didn't know any of the exits. He said fine and we both were on our way. The problem of course was that Ueno station is HUGE. Possibly the biggest sytation ever...I think like 16 tracks, plus the Shinkansen, plus something else all meet here. Its crazy! It's got two floors and everything. So I got there and realized there might be a problem. I wasnt sure what to do so I waited at the Park gate Exit from the station figuring that would be the most logical place to go. I wait for a while then look around the station some and then wait for another long while and then look once more around the station. Then I get them to announce Andrews name. And by now...its been almost two hours, Im a little stressed, frustrated, worried, and angry. So I wait another 15 minutes after the second announcement and then go home. I felt like I wouldnt have been able to enjoy the park much and I just needed to do something else.

When I got home I got online and talked to andrew. He explained he had come by subway and was waiting outside central gate. He even but a train ticket to go inside the station and look but left right before the first announcement. We were both really frustrated but when I told him about the announcement I started laughing. The whole thing was actually really funny.

Here's the announcement:
"Mr Andrew Wert From America....Mr Andrew Wert from America....Ms Jessica Caldas is waiting for you...Ms Jessica Caldas is waiting for you at Park Gate....Ms Jessica Calds is waiting for you at Park gate..."

After I finished getting unfrstrated andrew offered to buy me lunch. So he met me here in Senzokuike and we got lunch at MOS burger...the famous Japanese fast food restaurant? It was pretty good. I felt much better and things were okay but we both decided to refer to the frustingness as Today and it made us laugh even more about it when we talked about it.

I feel better about the experience now because I have learned never to just say..."inside the station" for any Japanese train station. I also know once we have cell phones everything will be much easier.

On other small notes:
Okaasan said during the school year I can go out to dinner or drinking with my friends anytime as long as I let her know. Otoosan said I was elegant. I think they have the supplies for speghetti at the grocery store. Everything is just pretty good.

Much love!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the spaghetti! I think it's right about the time you should be finishing actually, so...hope it went well.

Love you!
Mom

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home