When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Jess's Top 5 in Japan: Temples and Shrines

So for my next top five list I will be listing my favorite temples and shrines out of the many that I've visited. I have to put a slight disclaimer, since I have yet to visit Nikko there are many major temples and shrines I havn't seen. It's also important to note that there are plenty of smaller neighborhood and village temples and shrines all over Japan which are worth looking for if you have the chance to just explore. The less famous ones are always charming, with a less touristy air about them of course, so I have a high appreciation for them. Still, in my list I have included larger temples and shrines.


Top 5 Temples and Shrines:

Number 5:
I've chosen Yasukuni Jinja, a shrine, for number five. It's not too spectularly different from most shrines but it's rich history and deep involvement and a load of Japanese politics and conflict is of enough importance to me that I think it warrants the list. When going to the shrine make sure to stop by the war museum to the side so you can get an interesting perspective of the war. There are plenty of statues dedicated to victims around and if your lucky you might see a politician or some sort of war veterans group paying homage. This is also a very popular spot for cherry blossom viewing and the shrine has its own festival so if your there during the spring make sure to see it.

Number 4:
Number four goes to Asakusa Jinja, meaning both the temple and shrine (since you can't tell where one starts and one ends). Yes, it's touristy and will probably be crowded no matter what time of year you go, but you can't beat this place. I've been there more than three times and always find something new. The main street in front with all the shops is reason enough to go, cheap items you'll probably never actually need are in abundance and it's fun for people watching. There are plenty of events here too, and some of Tokyo's most famous festivals happen here.
Number 3:
In Kamakura the large buddha is most famous. I have to say, although I thought it was lovely and a spectacular sight I think my favrotie visit in Kamakura was the Hase Kannon Temple. A smallish complex to the South (I think), it had a lot of interesting things that I hadn't really seen at any of the temples I had been to. To start with there was a beautiful garden leading up to the temple area and I am a sucker for the gardens here in Japan. the main hall contains the statue of the Hase Kannon, who, "unlike other kannons, holds a tin cane in its right hand and a lotus plant in a vase in its left hand." I'm not sure of the significance but I'm sure it associates with the Lotus sutra and the saving the kannon is supposed to provide. My favorite part of the temple was the Benten-dou hall, basically a cave that you walked through (bent over for the tall). It is filled to the brim with small carvings left behind by visitors (I think having to do with the health of children). Another interesting building was the Sutra Archive, Kyozou. It has this rotating wheel that if you push around once earns you the merit of reading the massive amount of sutras collected there.
Number 2:
This is more a whole area rather than one temple but for number two I pick the park in Nara. You can easily spend a day here exploring and visiting the various temples and shrine, including one of Japan's two biggest buddha (and my personal favorite). When you see the buddha make sure to go round back and climb through the hole in the pillar, supposedly the size of his nostril, and you'll be granted long life or a fortunate one, or something. The deer here also really make this area for me, they're funny to feed (but hold on to your maps tight). Also, there are lots of students waiting around to give you a free tour. Don't be shy, make a friend and let one of them show you around, they get to practice their english and you'll probably learn something along the way. I was lucky when I went to the Shinto shrine because they were having a wedding ceremony. The second time I went a baby was being blessed. Two Shinto events (though not as traditional as you might think) that are pretty neat to witness.
Number 1:
Far and away the most beautiful temple complex I visited was Kiyomizu. Situated at the foot of a mountain and in the midst of a couple of very traditional looking streets in Kyoto, I was immediatly in love with it. It's famous for the posts that hold up some of the building (supposedly built without the use of a single nail) as well as the spring water that you can drink from for a healthier life. I also really like the small shrine behind the main hall, it's devoted to love and this is where those two rocks are; the ones you walk between with your eyes closed. If you manage it your garunteed luck in love. On the other side of the complex is a small pagoda devoted to mothers with unborn children for a healthy birth...or either abortion, or both. I'm mad at myself because I had a small book ono this complex that I bought and can't find! I have to mention that this temple also offers a breathtaking view of kyoto. Definatly my favorite over all so if you're in Kyoto then make it here for sure.



and here's a tidbit:
Most disapointing temple or shrine-Rokuon-ji temple or the Golden Pavillion
This place is neat but not nearly as cool as I had hoped. Sure the temple is nice, with it's gold plating or whatnot but you can't even get that close and aside from the golden temple there isn't that much else to see. I wouldn't tell anyone to not go see it but don't be expecting something extraordinary.

So that's my top five list for temples and shrines. Hope you found it interesting and sorry if you disagree^.^

Much Love!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Sorry, lots of topics. Random talking to follow:

EARTHQUAKE CONCERNS

Yeah, people don't know anything about Japanese geography. But then again, neither did I before I came here. I guess that's what Google Earth is for. ^_^

HANGING OUT WITH STUDENTS

Even though the job can be "taihen" sometimes, I am really lucky to work with my students, and have the freedom I do. Not all schools are like that.

But once I went out to the movies with some friends, and I saw one of my JET friends going to Pirates of the Caribbean with three students. So I know they do it too.

TEMPLES

If you're ever in Aomori-ken, I recommend Iwakisan Jinja. It's my personal favorite. It has a big temple at the bottom of the mountain, and a path leading up to the little temple at the top (1600 m later).

VENDING MACHINES

You forgot Boss Coffee! I love Boss Coffee, particularly the Cafe Ore.

My favorite vending machine is the National Battery vending machine down the street from my post office.

Also, I ate lunch out of a ramen and onigiri vending machine two weeks ago. That was a very Japanese experience. (^_^)/

Take care, and safe travels!

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice overview of the temples...I think we saw all but one of these? Btw, I also bought the book on Kiyomizu, so you can use that when you need to.

Love you!

(Counting the days...)

xoxo
Mom

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home