When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Kyudo

Okay....this is going to be a techinical explanation of Kyudo and what I have learned so far. If you want history and the like then feel free to search for it online, there is more than enough information out there.

In any case, I'll start with the many jobs I am expected to perform as a first year (though the second years also regularly help out as they are the ones teaching us these jobs).
Before practice we have to sweep the dojo, being careful not to turn our backs to the small shrine (I think it must be shinto) which I suppose house a kami(shinto god). After we're done sweeping we have to clean the floor with a rag-for an image of how we do this think to a japanese movie or anime you have seen where children run up and down the halls bent over at the waist and pushing a rag strait down the floor. It's actually kind of fun, though I always feel a bit foolish.
During this time another pair of people will be setting up targets (mato). This is pretty precise as well...at our range there are 6 targets and they each have names; omae, niteki, santeki, yonteki, ochimae, and ochi. During practice competitions there are sometimes only three and then the names become: omae, onaka, ochi. Knowing the names comes into use with another job. IN any case, for setting up targets you have to line up with markers on the walls, lift and drop the target in the air (and up down swinging motion) and then set it down. Oh, you do this after you have soaked the dirt they are stuck into. After you've pushed them into place, you yell "Onegaishimasu" and someone will stand in the middle of the dojo and check the targets. They'll call out the targets name and one of the following: ageru, sageru, migi, or hidari (all directions), if the target needs to be moved. After they are in the proper place you push them into the special holder things that keep them even more firmly in place. Then you sweep in front of them and that's that.
Now....5 minutes before practice we have to go to the dressing room and shout "jikan desu(it's time)". 1 minute before practice we shout it again inside the dojo.
If people are practicing outside we have to set up these hay things which I havn't done yet so I don't know the specfics. Some other things we have to do that I have yet to learn are things like keeping score, setting up the kami shrine, and the like. I also havnt learnt all the cheers that we have to shout during competitions.
During practice we take turns fetching arrows (ya) and cleaning them. This is pretty easy but you have to know where to put the arrows (typically the second years just tell us) and they go in one of two boxes "mae" or "ushiro" (front or behind). When you're fetching arrows, if they are keeping score, then you may have to double check for them. This is incredibly embarrasing because I messed up so bad the first time I tried it. First I forogt to mention when you are heading out onto the range you must stick your hands in first, clap them and wait for everyone to shout "doozo". The you look in checking to make sure everything is clear, and then you run in with your hands at your waist. If you're needed to check arrows then they well shout the target name and "onegaishimasu". The you go to that target, look at it without sitting down or bending too much, and then shout "Kakunishimasu." Then they shout hai or either onegaishimasu and then you say the target name and the number of arrows in it. Everything is normal numbers and counters except for when all four arrows are in it and I cant remember that term. also, if there are no arrows then you shout "zanen". During actual competitions you do this regardless of wether the score keeper thinks they got all the shots or not.
Also during competitions the two people fetching arrows will wait inside the target arrow (behind walls). during this time if there is a shot and miss you hold out a target showing its backside. If its a shot and hit then you hold out the front side of the target and shout "atari", holding it until the next shooter readies their shot.
After practice is over we are in charge of cleaning the targets and pasting new covers onto them. during practice we also have to make sure all the shoes at the entrance are neat and orderly.
Oh, and when we get to the dojo, like before we've changed or anything we have to go to the door and bow while shouting "konnichiwa" and when practice is over we bow and shout "shitsureishimasu."
So that takes care of chores...or at least the ones we've learned so far.

So after learning all that I have to learn "hasetsu" or the 8 steps which are the movements of kyudo. I learn these steps from senpai (older students) and before they teach me I must bow to them and shout "onegaishimasu". Afterwards I shout there name and bow and shout "arigatoogozaimasu." There is quite a lot of shouting going on^.^
Now, as for the 8 steps, I'll do them one at a time, mind you, I havnt done this with a bow so I'm describing the skeleton of the movements:

1-Ashibumi-footing
Okay...basically the first step is to spread your feet starting with left and then right. You're supposed to spread them about half your height. From what I understand you line your toes up with the center of the target.

2-Dozukuri-correcting the posture
At this time you are to straiten your back and lower you shoulders and keep a very fine strait posture....as if a string is holding you up...you put your hands at your waist in very specific positions which I cant even explain.

3-Yugamae-readying the bow
This is basically bringing your hand in front of you in a sort of circle which reminds me a lot of ballet.

4-Uchiokoshi-raising the bow
Here you raise your hands up above your head while keeping shoulders down and the top of your hands flat.

5-Hikiwake-drawing the bow
The first part of this step is straitening your left arm(holding the bow) and bending your right at the elbow so that your hands are still above your head but have partially drawn the bow. At this point you must continue to keep your shoulders relaxed but also make sure your left elbow is strait and not flattened (this is hard to explain but if you press your hand against a table and try to move only your elbow you'll see what I'm talking about-its a lot harder to do without pushing against something). The second part of this leads into:

6-Kai-Completeing the draw
This is the most complicated part and is always where I mess up. You must draw but not use power. What you are doing is extending your arms, both of them, out even furthur and as strait as possible. During this time you still keep your shoulders relaxed and once you complete the draw it is the Kai form. You must hold it for about 5 seconds. Your hands and elbows cant shake and you're not supposed to breathe either.

7-Hanare-the release
Once you've finished Kai to release in a swift strong motion, straitening your right arm.

8-Zanshin-continuation
This is basically like follow through as you hold the hanare release form...

9-Yudaoashi-lowering the bow
and then you put your hands back at your waist.

Of course, its a lot more complicated than I can even explain...
Personally I'm loving this. I'm actually pretty good at the steps as long as Im not holding anything but they have these rubber practice things andas soon as I hold one I am awful. My shoulders are up and I use too much power. I'm trying but it's been along time since I've been so frustrated with something. I mean, I guess It must have been this way with kung-fu but its been such a long time and since then I feel like most things have come fairly easy to me...but this kyudo is hard! I really like the feeling though, it's nice tobe challenged.

Now...eventually I'll have to pass a test. Let's hope I can! I'll be tested on chores as well as hasetsu so It'll be a lot to learn. In the mean time my arms hurt a lot^.^

Umm....
I did some research and found out if I ever get a bow it will be about 227 centimeters long...
nice...

yup..
okay then
Much love!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds crazy. cool, i guess. how long does one practice take?

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thumbs up on what we talked about last night. It should be available before the weekend.

Love Dad!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Dude! Ever since I saw the kyudo club at the assembly, I've wanted to join! It looks so cool!

But I'm a teacher, and even if I signed up to help, all I'd do is supervise, not practice.

I really admire you for going out and doing stuff like this Jess. I know a lot of Ryugakusei and other foreigners up here who just sit around and play video games and drink. And I guess that's Japanese culture too :D but it's not as active.

Ganbatte!

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic, but I thought of interest to you. Here's a link to an article about US Military involvement with Comfort Women after WW2 in Japan until Gen. McArthur put a stop to it in 1946

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,133600,00.html?wh=news

Love, Dad!

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this fascinating! I hope you'll post some pictures. Also, what are the chances of getting a video of you doing some of the kyudo. I love the sound of all the ritual.

xoxo
Mom

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess! I've been holed up studying, so I just now caught up on your last few entries. I'm so excited about you doing Kyudo. It reminds me of archery at camp when I was younger, only we only had about three commands to warn people from skewering us with a stray arrow. After you learn, we should go back to that boy scout camp we went to with katie and you can school all those little children. Of course, they'd probably be like, why the hell does it take her two hours to shoot one arrow? And why is she shouting so much? But anyway, it all sounds really cool, and I can't wait to see pictures. I miss you so much! -Alice

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a Kyudo Dojo on Briarcliff Road here in Atlanta.
Love Dad!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you going to any Kite Festivals? That looks cool!

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/lf/050307kites;_ylt=AidU8OFDhrnlRtaSC0Vz9zppaP0E

Love, Dad!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home