When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

...

Okaasan, Kumiko Ogihara, passed away early Saturday morning. It turns out, I was right about everything I thought I understood. Okaasan had a stroke on wednesday night. It must have been late because I slept through an emergency helicopter coming to pick her up. The stroke had caused an inoperable aneurysm, I believe anyway unless it`s the other way around and the aneurysm causes the stroke. I visited her twice in the hospital on Friday though she was in a coma. On Friday they had to stop giving her medicine because although it would help her to live longer it would start to make her body worse. After they stopped the medicine it was only a matter of time, though I learned that everyone else knew she only had two or three days from the beginning. That is the only thing I had failed to catch. On Saturday the funeral process began which is as both Otoosan and Manami say, mendokusai and taihen, very tiresome and tough. Okaasan is in the house, in her room and will be until Tuesday. On Tuesday they will hold the actual funeral and on Wednesday they will cremate her. So, for awhile, I wont really have much to post. I`ll play catch up next weekend.

Much Love, and if you can continue to pray for her family then thank you.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will of course continue to pray. Let me know if I can do anything else (you may not believe it, but I'm a good listener :). I love you tons.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences to you and your host family dear..

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess - I'm so glad we were able to talk so many times throughout this past weekend. I know how tough this is for you and for Okaasan's family. You've been a wonderful support to them. I'm sorry I can't be over there, with you, but know how much I love you and let that carry you during the especially hard times.

I hope you can manage finals this week. I think you'll do fine.

All my love,
Mom

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica - we continue to pray for you and your host family for comfort and strength in this time. We love you.

Love, Emily

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, I'm so sorry. I"m not quite sure what to say, except all my sympathies go out to you and your host family. We all love you here. Love, Alice

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, I am so sorry. It must be so difficult to go through this at the end of your journey. I don't really know what else to say, stay strong. I love and miss you. -caitlin

9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure you know how much love and support you have back here. I wish I could be with you right now, but I know you are hanging in there and I'm sure are acting as a huge support for the family as well. Know that all my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family and I love you a ton!!

11:08 AM  
Blogger meimi said...

Hi,

You don't know me, but I stayed as a homestay at Okaasan's the year before you did. Okaasan's blog had yours linked - I've never really read it before, but I just came to Tokyo yesterday for my JET orientation. I'd talked to Okaasan a few weeks ago about seeing her while I was in Tokyo, and I was trying to reach her cell phone since I got here to make plans, but it never connected. I brought a bunch of omiyage with me for Okaasan, Otousan, Manami, and Nao, and I really wanted to give it to everyone while I was still here in Tokyo.

I couldn't find any contact number but Okaasan's cell, so I thought I'd check your blog to make sure that everyone wasn't on vacation or something, since I was hoping I could drop by tomorrow, and saw this entry instead. I'm...floored right now. I've been telling everyone who'd listen these past few weeks how excited I was to be able to see her again, so I'm just...shocked.

I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do, or should be doing, though obviously it's a bit late in asking and I know you're leaving soon (or are already gone from Japan?) anyway. But I don't have any way of contacting Otousan or anyone else, since Okaasan was always the one I kept in touch with. I'm not sure what the situation is now, and I still don't have any other contact information for anyone else. If there's any way you could help me out with finding the phone number for the house or Otousan's email or something like that, or whatever else you could tell me, I would really appreciate it! The email you can reach me at is meimichi@gmail.com. I'm really sorry for asking you like this right when you're either leaving or settling in back home.

- Megan

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home