When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Quick Update!

So..not too much has been happening though I've been very busy with homework and schoolwork and such. Still, classes are good (with one exception). Today in Women's history(one of my favorites), we went to the Fukagawa Edo Museum but I'm going to dedicate a whole post to that since I got to take pictures and it deserves.

The one exception I mentioned earlier is my Literature class. Although I find the class very interesting and good I now have an issue with the teacher. It happened like this:
At the end of class I go up to him to turn in the extra handouts from during class. When I do he says to me that he needs to talk with me a minute. He then preceeds to tell me that he can "see what I'm doing and its very distracting." I proceed to be completely confused and ask himm what? And he says "Oh, you don't know what I'm talking about?"(a little sarchastic or skeptically) and I'm like, "no sir, please, what is it? I'm sorry but I dont know". And he says something about showing contempt for the class and I am really confused now because I just got finished taking 3 pages of notes during class. SO I say, "I'm sorry. Im taking notes and paying attention, what-" and he cuts me off with "I don't want to argue about it." and so I say okay and walk away utterly confused and upset.
I seriously have no idea what he was talking about. The problem is if he has a legitamate problem with something I'm doing I still don't know what it is and he was not willing to let me know. That's what bugs me. He acted as if he immediatly knew I was doing something to purposefully distract him (because seriously I don't think the rest of the class noticed anything). But I honestly don't know what I could be doing. And he won't even talk to me about it. It wasnt even really arguing, I was apologizing! And I am not the kind of student who purposefully distracts a teacher. And it really hurt my feelings and upset me and now I'm just angry because I feel my teacher was being a bit immature. And now I have to go to him again and figure out what to do about this. Because I do not want to be on the teacher's bad side even if he is immature. But if he doesn't cooperate what am I supposed to do? No offense to anyone, but I feel like some adults feel like all students just don't care about school or class, or anything like that. I've been lucky not to run into too many of them but this teacher....it's just his attitude seriously upset me.

Okay. Enough rant.
I'll update soon with the Edo pictures and decription, it was really great! I really am loving school and everything. I'm excited about most of my classes the majority of the time....it really nis amazing!
Peace!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, if he doesn't respond to your next conversation, then go over his head to his supervisor. You can't go through school like this...it can ruin your experience, not to mention your grades. You have a history of excellent grades and as a good student. If he won't pay attention to that, his supervisor should.

I hate that this has happened.

Love you so much!
xoxo
Mom

5:26 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Im so sorry Jessica, I hope next time you talk to him it goes much better, and if it doesn't, definately do what Mom and said and don't be afraid to do it! I love you bunches and miss you like crazy!

p.s. My computer crashed or something, which is why i havent been on skype.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about the teacher. reminds me of a certain arguement i had in 7th grade. one should never assume the person you're frustrated with realizes they're doing something to frustrate you. anyway, hopefully that will work itself out. also reminds me of when i was accused of skipping school in france, and i was so shocked, because i would have never done that!

anyway, i love you and miss you!

erin

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way- e-mail me1 i wanna talk to you!

erin

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is he an older or a younger teacher? I believe you had mentioned that this was a quieter teacher. Assuming male. Is he european, japanese or american? I think you also mentioned that Andrew was in this class. What does any of this have to do with anything you probably ask? What I think we have here is failure to communicate. Maybe he's embarrased to specifically point out to a young female student what he may have perceived as inappropiate behavior - maybe he's a loony - maybe he's got a crush on you - maybe he hates Americans - maybe he thinks your sweet smile is a smirk and you're making him feel insecure...then he's really a loony...

Do you know any female professors that you may be able to talk to about him in confidence?

Can't we all just get along?

Love ya!

Dad!

"Making molehills out of mountains for over 46 years"

Like my new motto?

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home