When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

English Lessons to start soon, plus, another 'sort of' Culture note

So...Lessons have been confirmer with Mrs. Fujisawa. Let me say, her elegance tranlates even into her emails.
We've decided to meet once a week(the exact day to be determined each week due to the fujiasawa's busy schedule) at 7:30 at her house. They live very, very close so this is no problem. The first meeting is to be the 29th of this month.
Lessons should be about two hours long and I will be paid 3000 yen per hour. Sorry Dad, couldn't be as bold as you wanted but I felt asking for more was too much. Mrs. Fujisawa's english is already very good and she really only wants a conversation partner. I will be paid monthly.
I'm already getting very excited about this whole thing. If anyone wants to suggest good topics for conversation then please do. I already have a few ideas in mind. Mostly I just need to get Mrs. Fujisawa really comfortable and confident in her english.
I'm so pumped!
Maybe I was meant to be a teacher after all...

On some minor notes...
I had my Cinema midterm today. Im pretty sure I got an A or either a high B. It was pretty easy because Id seen all the movies, paid attention during classes, and done the readings.
Also, I got my first phone bill. Only 5331 yen and thats including an extra 2700 yen for starting the plan...so It'll be even less next time. Yes!

And now...
A "sort of" culture Note

I'm not really sure if I can call this a culture note or note...honestly...what really falls into the category of culture anyway?
In any case this entry is about Convienence stores. In Japan, when they say Convienence store, they meant it. By the way, in Japanese a convienence story is called "Konbini" and convienent is called "Benri". In any case, I'm talking about any one of them; 7 eleven, lawsons, Am/Pm, newdays, etc. Not only can you get foodm which is normal in worldwide konbini's, but you can copy papers, fax papers, pay cell phone bills, most have those cool ID photo booths outside, and more exciting and convienent things like that. Of course, they arent attatched to gas stations like the ones in america either...And I'd say the hot food they have tends to be better..but thats a personal question I suppose.
Maybe they arent so special but I like them. Maybe I like how the Japanese seem to have a real hold on convienence. I mean...I really feel like a major concern here is how "benri" something is...and I love it...it also provides a certain amount of efficiency, which I also love.

In any case, this was all brought about me finding out I could pay my cellphone bill at 7 eleven. Im really, well...just enchanted by this.

Much love!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

25 USD per hour? 8 Hours per month? Cool! Great pocket money!

Love, Dad!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Efficiency rocks!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, i like that rachel said efficiency rocks, I mean it totally does...Jess, maybe you can revolutionize the united states. In fact, why stop there? You should make it your mission to make the whole WORLD efficient. Okk, time to peace out and head to class...much love, Sara

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Effectiveness is the handmaiden of efficiency"

Dad, 11/17/06 ;)

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, well here you can pay your cell phone bills online. ;)

I'm so excited about the tutoring...can't wait to hear how the first lesson goes.

Love you!!

xoxo
Mom

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jess! Missing you lots. I'll save some turkey and pumpkin pie for you! Love Dad!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jess! Missing you lots. I'll save some turkey and pumpkin pie for you! Love Dad!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home