When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cooking For the Fam

Yes. I cooked spaghetti. And it was possibly the most interesting spaghetti I've ever had. Okay, it wasn't that crazy. But it was different. At least Okaasan and I had fun making it.

Let's begin with the shopping. I must say I was a little frantic because, one, it's late and I know okaasan is waiting for me but what can I do-I've got class!, secondly, everything in the store is of course, in japanese. I had managed to translate most items on my list already so I was seemingly well prepared. Onions are no problem and noodles turn out to be fairly easy as well. But it's the tomatoes that are tricky. I wasnt sure if I was getting the right type and I completely forgot to get tomato paste...I don't even know if it exsits in most stores because Okaasan didn't knw what I was talking about. And the meat. Well...it seems easy...deceptively so! What I got was ground pork, not beef. They look the same though only hamburger, as I have now learned, is usually darker in color in its raw form(and now that I think about it its cooked form as well). Spices are difficult too because its hard to find the right ones. And I accidently bought two parsleys and no basil. Garlic was nice and easy. Just so every one knows the Japanese word for Garlic is "Niniku."

Yeah. SO I get home, realize what I have and have not gotten and decide to just go ahead and cook it anyway. It's all going pretty well too. Only the sauce is very watery so I just let it cook for quite sometime...just to let it "firm" or get less watery. It did...a little. Okaasan is the one who noticed I got pork instead of beef. It was pretty funny too. Oh, she was taking pictures the whole time. In any case...I managed to get it cooked and even added sugar which I think probably saved it. I think okaasan thought it was a little too sweet but she didn't say so. She said it was interesting and good though she thought it might be better with beef. And I'm okay with that. Naoto seemed to like it too. Manami and Otoosan have yet to try it...hopefully they like it too. Anyway....I'm pretty sad I did so horribly but at least its edible.

hah hah. This is so funny to me. I didn't inherit either of my parents cooking skills...I am honestly a terrible cook!
(except breakfast...I can kick anyone's butt at breakfast!)

In other minor notes:
Mom, apparenttly okaasan LOVES quesadillas so I'd say that gift Idea is a good bet.
Rae, Sara, Alice, Caitlin-I'm going through withdrawal. TALK to me!
Dad...I love your notes. They always make me laugh. Andrew was thiking the same thing about him maybe being creepy(liking me)...but I talked to him and he said there wasnt a problem anymore. stupid teacher.
I think that's everything...oh, ERIN...you email me first!^.^

MUCH love to all....and delicous food.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say your cooking was a roaring success! It was edible, right? LOL

Mostly, I bet they just loved you cooking for them.

I want to see the pictures!

Love you to pieces...
xoxo
Mom

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I get the Quesadilla maker...

...are flour tortillas available there?

Just wondering.

xoxo
Mom

7:08 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Random thoughts while reading your blog:

Awww, Jessica cooking.

Ha ha, I have inherited good cooking skills, yes! You can have paint, I've got edibles down! Score: Rachel 1. Jessica: A million.

How can a quesadilla be a gift?

I totally thought that guy was creepy too.

There are such things as quesadilla makers?

I already told you, my computer crashed! I needed to call you so bad the other night and I couldnt and then I was really sad, I wish I could hear your voice!

I love you!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to cook some tostones, red beans and rice for them - la cocina de mi gente!

Love! Dad!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you didn't accidently pick up some crazy other kind of meat like, I dunno, ground Godzilla. I bet he'd make an awful lot of meat sauce. Anyway, I want to talk to you too! I'll probably have skype up a lot this weekend since I will be working on copious amounts of school work, and thus will be glued to my computer chair. I miss you!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are cute. Make me dinner! I miss you lady!!
sara

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home