When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fukagawa Edo Museum (plus, culture note #2)

Welcome to Edo Tokyo.


Let's begin with the vegetable shop.

Yay! bright veggies all lined up in their baskets. And also we have some rain coats and hats..made of straw of course(or grass or something?).

As we walk down the street, pay close attention to all the stuff along the way (though I can't quite remember what most of it is...


Oh! let's not skip the rice store...


and this is the thing that pounds the rice...the name of it? like I remember...(some tour guide I am)...

and now we're going to pass a river...obviously we've got to go fishing and stuff...


Let's stop in for a quick bite to eat, alright?

hmmm...don;t forget to take off your shoes...and your coat and hat^.^

oh..sneaking into the back roooms?


oh, that boat is a good luck charm. Obviously a lot of stuff happens here on the water...don't want any storms or shipwrecks, now do we?

And now for some of the local houses:


Yeah....
so I'm a terrible tour guide. Whatever! Still...this was the coolest thing ever! You could go in all the houses and touch everything and take pictures. All museums should be like this. There are more pictures on facebook, as well as pictures from the dali museum and kareoke.

Oh...
now...I realized I've probably been imparting some culture outside of my little "culture notes" but I feel the need to specficially address some things...
so here is

Culture Note #2

You may have noticed that in all the pictures I have taken of children the children are all wearing hats. There is a specific reason why all elementary children wear hats (according to my women's history teacher). You see, in japan, any kind of hat is seen as protective wear. So if you get in an accident the insurance will, well, I don't know all the right terms but basically if you're wearing a hat the insurance company is nicer to you. Therefore, all elementary children wear hats. Isn't that interesting? Also, elementary children are not afraid of cameras...and they are adorable!



Much love!
PS: no stress about the teacher...Ill talk to him and everything will be fine...and I wont let it ruin anything^.^

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool! Love the new pictures, too...especially the ones taken at Karaoke ;)

Love you!

xoxo
Mom

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home