When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Monday, November 13, 2006

International House Japan-Reception in honor of Peter Drucker and his wife

So...
The recepption was interesting.
First, let me start by saying I really didn't have any clue what it was going to be like and I had the strange sensation of all my Japanese leaving me the minute I walked through the doors of the building. I had also just spend 45 minutes looking for the place (it's a good thing I always get to places really really early) so I was a little frantic. But I calmed down...quickly too, which surprised me.
And, upon meeting the Fujisawa's, I found my Japanese had indeed not left me but simply nestled itself a little more comfortably in my brain. What the heck does that mean? Anyway, I found conversation witht he Fujisawa's pleasant and easy. Mr. Fujisawa is flamboyant, if only because I can think of no other way to describe a Japanese man as friendly and outspoken as he is. Plus he obviously adores his wife. He pretty much knows only a little english, though I think he may know about as much as I know Japanese. Mrs. Fujisawa is very beautiful and was indeed wearing a kimono. She was very softspoen and I think a little shy to speak english. but her english is good. I like them both a lot. We talked out some details but I think they will all be solidified via email. Anyone reading this have a good suggection for appropriate payment? Mostly Mrs. Fujisawa needs a conversation partner so I will meet her once a week and we will simply have conversations in english.

In any case...
after talking with them for awhile I asked Rick what exactly I was supposed to help with. He directed me to the information desk where I met three very nice ladies. Everyone else went into the Reception room and us four packed gift bags for the guests. After that we waited for people to leave. This part was a little dull and I would have liked to hear the talk about Drucker. I did do some homework and even read up on Drucker in a book they had at the desk.
After everyone left(some 2 hours later) we four ladies got to eat (along with the hosts of the reception and Mrs. Drucker). The food was really good and I had my first raspberry and blueberry since arriving in japan. I spent a lot of time talking with the other ladies from the information desk and they were all very nice. One of them had been to australia for some ten years and she was especially kind to me. She gave me her card so I may email her.

The only thing I am mad at myself is that I did not directly meet Mrs Drucker or Speak with her. It simply that there was always someone talking to her, plus...how was I going to introduce myself? It's not even like I knew that much about her or her husband. I did meet a few other interesting people and I even scroed some tickets to an art exhibit at a museum.

All in all it was a very good evening. And I even got a ride home. Yay!
I think that's everything. Oh, I really wanted one of the books they were giving away as gifts. Although it was in Japanese I was going to send it to Dad. It was a book of quotes for daily use by Drucker...I wish I could remember the title. In any case...
Good night!
Much love!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! The Fujisawa's sound like wonderful people.

How many hours per week are you going to be with Ms. Fujisawa?

I say request $60.00 US/Hour. If they purse their lips, ask them how much they believe is reasonable. Wait for the counter and then go halfway, but no less than $45.00 US/Hour.

Love ya!

Dad!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

you're kidding, right dad?
^.^

1:49 PM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Um, cool...

Sorry I havent gotten my computer back yet.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should ask around...talk to other tutors and find out what the going rate is. You should definitely get the going rate. Don't short-sell yourself. :)

You're making contacts everywhere...that is fabu!!

xoxo
Mom

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not kidding - Language Tutors in Atlanta go for $25 - $40 US/Hr. Add premium for Tokyo prices...

Fine people they are, but they probably make $60 in less than 5 minutes.

Premium prices for premium service ;)

Be bold!

Love ya!

Dad!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, I love you, and I love your blog! I have no idea how much money to ask for, though, except the standard "One billllllion dollars!" replete with pinky to the lips. Man, I can't believe I just made an Austin Powers reference - I don't even like it that much. Ummm, yeah, my ADDs been getting the best of me. Again, I love you, and am full of no useful advice.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home