When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Ryokan, a first class experience

No joke.

After checking out of the hostel Andrew and I went to Sapporo where we wound up purchasing Shinkansen tickets for a whopping 22000 yen (around 200 bucks I guess). OUr flight here was cheaper so now I know, next time just book the round trip tickets by plane and you'll save time and money. But at least we know how we're getting home.

In any case, we made our way to Otaru-chikko station which turned out not to be the best station to go to since it wasn't walking distance. It didn't matter anyway because my right foot is so sore it hurts to walk anyway. So we hopped into the nearest taxi, which happened to be called "takai taxi". In Japanese Takai means either tall or expensive. It made me and Andrew laugh and indeed, the ride to the Korakuen Ryokan was 600 yen a piece.

For those that don't know, a Ryokan is a tradtional Japanese inn. It comes with tatami rooms and futon beds, onsen (hot springs for bathing) if you're lucky, and really fancy dinner and breakfast if you choose it. We had to wait to check in, but were allowed to drop our bags off in the lobby while we walked around outside. Just the outside of the inn is breathtaking. Once we were allowed to check in they showed us to our room where they had already brought our bags. Once we got there a polite woman made tea for us and explained the different aspects of the room, showing us where the toilet and yukata and tabi were and such. Aside from the tea there were also little snacks to nibble on and she also found out what time we wanted dinner brought to our room. Once she left I immediatly changed into a Yukata (they are soooo comfortable) and havn't really worn anything else inside the Ryokan.

The service doesn't stop there.

While waiting for dinner (scheduled for 7:30), I decided to check out the onsen. I know I've gone through this before but I'll go through it again briefly. Onsen are hot baths, usually public. In this ryokan they have both outdoor and indoor baths, separated by sex. You don't bath in the onsen, no. You shower first, make sure you are completely clean, and then you relaz in the onsen for as long as you can. I've discovered I like sytarting in the indoor bath and then moving outside. After being outside the indoor one just feels too stifling. There's something really amazing about being able to sit outside completely naked in the middle of a bunch of snow (even if technically you're in a hot spring which is surrounded by snow. I've definatly gotten over the shyness of bathing in front of other girls. Today I even got to sit next to a nice, I think Chinese, family.

In any case, dinner came to our room at exactly 7:30 and a lady set out all the dishes and explained a few of them. She left after that leaving andrew and I to decide which of the ten small but appetizing looking plates to start with. Let me say, if you are picky do not get meals at the ryokan. I have no idea what have the stuff I have been eating is and it also includes a lot of sashimi (which i love but I know some people have a problem with). I really liked dinner last night because it also had crab. Once you finish eating you call the front desk. Two ladies came and whisked away all the dishes and set up our futons (they go in the closet during the day). They moved really fast! they also brought Ice cream so of course I love them. The futons are a lot softer than you might expect, and warmer.

The rooms also have TVs so I didn't even have to miss Hana Yori Dango.

Upon waking this morning Andrew and I headed to breakfast which we go to a sort of cafeteria for. I say sort of because, though everyone in the hotel eats there, its much nicer than I can describe. They already had our meal set up and we enjoyed more sashimi, fish, miso and more little dishes. Quite delicous.

Andrew and I were appreciating the relazxing amotsphere of the Ryokan so we didn't really go anywhere today. We did walk around the Ryokan gardens (which are covered in snow and gorgeous, though are probably equally gorgeous in the fall and spring) and played in the snow some and that was nice. I took another bath and we enjoyed another wonderful dinner. Oh, while we were out some people straitened up our room and even left some more treats to have with more tea. Really amazing!

Well...that pretty much catches me up to now. Tomorrow Andrew and I plan on waking up early to make the most of the day and see Otaru. The location is famous for music boxes and glass so I hope I can find some less expensive items for gifts. Also, there is the lantern festival. I'm excited!

Like I said, pictures will be up at the end of the week! Though, the ryokan pictures are going to be in andrew's albums since I've run out of batteries for my camera.


on a side note:
please vote for Anrew's mom who is in a contest to be the ultimate narnia fan and get a chance to visit the set of the next movie. This is a big deal and she's already one of six finalists!!!
here's the link:
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/fanclub/fanclub_winners.html
you can vote once a day!

Much Love!

PS:
thanks for all the comments!
@theNikku-yeah, we had to book our stuff like two months ago and that was LATE timing for booking. Sucks! I havn't heard much about a warm winter here..but everyone is complaining about it back in Tokyo.

@Alice-You dirty dirty girl

@Dad-I found something for you^.^ Nothing big...kind of funny though.

@Wervyn-hah hah. Havn't seen it yet. "pouches" hah hah

@Rae and Sara...I miss you both! Not too long till I see you Rae!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Narnia plug, Jessica!

Emily

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jessica. i miss you!!! i'm jealous of your traveling adventures. we should talk about something exciting sometime. i <3 you! :D

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the Ryokan we're staying at similar to the one you two are at? I can't wait! I'm getting SO excited for the trip.

Love you!
Mom

P.S. I voted...twice. :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Did you go to the right Sapporo? :) It seems the Japan Times knows about the bad case of record temperatures during the Snow Festival.

Thank you global warming.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heh, yes we were at the right place. The weather wasnt particularly hot, but it was not cold enough at some points it would seem. We heard the hawaiian competitors talking about how several of the competing sculptures had fallen and had to be rebuilt. But for the most part everyone did a good job of keeping the problems as unnoticable as possible. the second day was much better i think. It was still amazing no matter how you looked at it.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Jessica!!

xoxo
Mom

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home