When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Basho

"The basis of art is change in the universe. That which is still has changeless form. Moving things have change, and because we cannot put a stop to time, it continues unarrested. To stop something would be to halt a sight or sound in our heart. Cherry blossoms whirl, leaves fall, and both flit along the ground. We cannot arrest with seeing or hearing what lies in such things. Were we to gain mastery over things, we would find that the life of each thing iself had vanished without a trace."

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Basho was a crazy guy. One of his quotes that I still remember:

"All the truly great artists have had one thing in common: they were one with the season."

Ever read his travelogues? I love to read those because I know where he's going. And I've been to some of those places!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Actually, That quote isnt so hard for me to grasp-at least a little. I'll have to check out the travelogues. I honestly don't know much about him...we barely grazed him in my literature class and then, well, we only talked about his relation to Renga. So...
^.^

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to check this guy out!

xoxo
Mom

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home