When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Ikebana and my second English teaching session

So...
today was my first time actually doing Ikebana. It was difficult but fun and interesting. I don't think I'm very good, and I really don't understand it yet...but I'm going to practice! I got to take home the flowers that were left over and Okaasan and I put them in a vase all pretty like and she put them near the front door. It makes me feel good that I sort of have something to give the family.

One thing I really like about Ikebana is that I met Yukari. She's really nice and helpful and on friday we're going to art club together. She seems really enthusiastic about it as well...I dunno, I see the beginning of a beautiful friendship (maybe I'm just super optimistic). We talked a lot though (in japanese and english) and I'm really looking forward to friday.

I also had my second session with Mrs. Fujisawa. It went very well. I spent a lot of time putting together stuff to teach and even still, I already know there are things I need to do better and things I need to change. Also, in an unplanned turn of events for the session, Mrs. Fujisawa and I went through the catalogue for her art gallery(the reason I'm teaching her english in the first place). This actually turned out to be a great thing because she spent a lot of time talking to me about the art work in english and I could ask her questions about why she liked certain pieces and things like that. then, when we finished, she gave me the book! I was really surprised and I think it was too much as a gift. But what could I do?
We finished the lessons with scenarios to go over everything I'd taught and gone through. I think Mrs. Fujisawa still feels a bit awkward doing scenarios but so far I think it's a good way for her to practice. I need to think of other excersizes to do with her...
I think I really like teaching...which kind of surprises me and kind of doesn't...
^.^
In any case, we are only going to meet one more time for this month on the 20th because she is so busy. I think we will be meeting a lot more in the new year and hopefully visiting a lot of art galleries together.

That's about it...
Oh, and NB from the Nikku is right, duh! Of course I can use my cell phone! of course, the quality wont be as good an dI still dont know how to get pictures off my cell phone but Ill figure it out. and I'm getting on Andrew to buy a camera this week or next week....
anyone got any good suggestions?

Much Love!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica - Hearing how your teaching is going makes me nearly weep with pride! You are amazing.

I love you!
xoxo
Mom

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're teaching. We have something else in common. :)

If your keitai takes SD or MiniSD cards you can get an adapter for your computer and copy your pictures from the card. (For MiniSD, might need a MiniSD to SD adapter for the SD adapter. taihen desu ne!)

Otherwise you can email your pictures to yourself. :)

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay jess...i feel like an idiot asking, but what is ikebana again? i'm sur you mentioned it in an earlier post, but i really can't remember. i just know it has soemthing to do with flowers. i'm glad your enjoying the teaching! i would be soo nervous! much love- caitlin

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home