When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sophia Best and Ikebana

So...My school activities have finally started rolling.

Andrew talked about Sophia Best in his blog as well but I should probably explain.
Basically we are volunteering (twise a week because of a lack of volunteers) to go to an elementary school and teach kids things about our culture. The first session was last friday and it was so fun. The kids were very cute and seemed to enjoy what we were doing. Whenever they answered questions they got up, pushed their chairs in, and stood behind them. this was especially entertaining with one word answers. One child drew a picture of andrew and all of them seemed sweet. I had fun but felt a little like I had to take control because Yoko, our Japanese leader for the group, was a little quiet and both Andrew and the other guy, Rene, seemed to be at a loss. I must say Andrew picked up though and did very well. I think he was one of the kids favorites.

Andrew and I were with another group today, though we did pretty much the same presentation. this group of kids were less well behaved though. They were much louder and more aggresive. And kind of mean to their teacher who was younger-which may ahve something to do with it. Still, I had fun and one of the kids gave us some plastic beads. Kids are really funny. I dunno, I'm really likeing the experience and look forward to friday. We're going to talk about seasons.

Now...last wednesday I finally checkout out Ikebana. It seemed really cool! Difficult though. I think joining is really going to iporve my Japanese as well. I met a really nice girl named Yukari who also mentioned she was in art club after I told her I was an art major. so she may be my in for that club as well! The people in Ikebana were very receptive. It costs a little money, for the flowers, but I may watch for the first few sessions since I'm really not sure what to do. I'm really excited and I hope to get to know Yukari better as well. She even texted me later to tell me she hoped I enjoyed the club. anyway, I'm especially looking forward to this^.^

Hmmm....
so...
I think Im done with updates.
This is a good thing.
Lessons with Mrs. Fujisawa start tomorrow. I'm nervous....^.^

Much Love!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many lessons...giving and receiving. Jess, I love that you made all of these updates! I am now fulfilled. ;)

You've so much going on...I am thrilled for the experiences you are having. Keep it up, kiddo!

Love you bunches and tons,
xoxo
Mom

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home