When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was very fun for me though I did feel more homesick than I have in a very long long time.
I spent most of the day with Okaasan. First we went and saw the Art Deco show at a Museum in Meguro. It was a really great exhibit which was more focused on drawings rather than paintings. I suppose the focus of the Art Deco period must have been more on fashion....I'll have to learn more about it. Many of the drawings were very sharp, crisp, architectural type pictures of rings and jewlery. It was gorgeous. They even had some of the jewlewery present. They also had a lot of images of women wearing fancy outfits and it was almost like fashion designs. Very inspiring. I really enjoyed the exhibit.

Outside the Museum was a large garden area which even included a smaller Japanese garded which was gorgeous. It had a small teahouse and a japanese bridge and lot of trees called "Momiji" which turn red in the late fall. The trees here hadn't changed yet and we may go back to see them when they are all red. It was really beautiful.

Park Pics:



after this Okaasan and I went to an international super market and bought a few things. Outside they were selling christmas trees and inside a lot of thanksgiving things. It made me very homesick! But I was happy too. Christmas trees here are very expensive, maybe 300 dollars. Still, if I lived in Japan for good I would buy one. They smelled so good!


after this we walked around and saw a bunch of christmas decorations in different areas. One place we went to was near ebisu station and the lights here were gorgeous!


Also, iinsdie the station was one of those moving sidewalks. On the way back to the train I was looking at some ads on the wall while standing on the sidewalked. Ever wonder what happens if you don't step off of it at the end? It's not pretty. Since I was standing sideways, and not paying attention, I completely toppled ovder. I had no idea what had happened but I laughed a lot. I was embarrased but wasn't hurt, good thing^.^

when we got home Manami and her friend Miki (from the taco tako party) were there and we all began to work on a gingerbread house. Apparently I'm good at it. Miki and Manami thought so anyway. During this time I talked to Rae and Mom and Alec on the phone for maybe two hours. It was really great to get to talk that long. I must confess, I was really getting a little sad and that cheered me up. Also, Manami and Okaasan talked to Rae. I'm excited for Rae and Mom to get to meet my host family next February.
Yay!


More pics on my photobucket under "thanksgiving"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we got to talk with you on Thanksgiving! Your day sounds wonderful, though very different than what you're used to. Great pictures. :)

Love you tons!
xoxo
Mom

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I just started giggling at the image of you falling off the moving sidewalk. I can totally picture it. The pictures are gorgeous. I'm glad we got to skype!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home