When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

First Lesson!

So, I had my first lesson with Mrs. Fujisawa.
It went really well. I explaqined what I was going to do for the day and then we did it.
For this one I really wanted to get an idea of what she did and didn't know as well as what she wanted to know.
For the first hour we talked about ourselves. I asked her a lot of questions and asked her to ask me questions as well. it went great! I found that the questions that seemed to be really good were "why" type questions. Like why does she like this and things like that. When I say really good I mean questions that she seemed to need more help on. After we finished that we took a short break for tea and cake. Then we started talking about her work more specifically and what kinds of things she wanted to learn.

I've decided that what she needs is conversation practice (duh^.^) meaning practice coming up with topics to talk about and being more specfic in answers (especially to questions like why). Also, she wants to make sure she knows polite language for speaking with customers in her Art gallery.

So....we decided that every week we'd run through a scenario where I would be a customer and she would use her conversational skills she's been learning on me. this will be good because I can pretend to be different people and she will have to think of ways to carry the conversation based on my character. It will be interesting.

We also talked about the possibility of having lessons at museums sometimes so that we could talk in english about artwork. She thought that this was a very good idea.

And also Mrs Fujisawa is going to write down any questions she has during the week when she is using english. That way she can rbing them to me.

SO, all in all the lessons was succesful. The Fujisawa's house is very nice and big for a house in tokyo. It has two small gardens and a separate small building for tea ceremonies which Mrs. Fujisawa is fond of.

I really enjoyed the lesson. I'm not so nervous anymore.
Yay!
Peace!

4 Comments:

Blogger Raquelita said...

That's so awesome! I love all your updates. SOrry I havent commented on alot, Ive got exams and finals like crazy. Im gonna get on skype before I go to spain so I can talk to you, and I can probably use it while im there. I love you!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray! You are now officially a teacher!Good job! I knew you'd do great!

Love! Dad!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess. Way to make the most out of your time in Japan. Plus, I have a great idea, when you are pretending to be different people you can so be me.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a natural!

Jessica...I am so proud of you!!

xoxo
Love,
Mom

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home