When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Matsuda Gonroku

Matsuda Gonraku was an exceptional Laquerware artist.

Yesterday (being Thursday), I tried my hand at the first English lesson in a gallery lesson. I, along with Yukari, met Mr. And Mrs. Fujisawa in Ginza so that we could go see the Matusda Gonraku exhibit.

Let me begin with Wow. First we went to the Fujisawa's laquerware gallery were Yukari and I were able to glimpse Mr. Fujisawa's enthusiasm for the subject. The gallery is small and pristine with gorgeous little pieces of laquerware (which describes the process of decorating -usually wooden- utilitarian objects). Their he talked mainly of little medicine cases that men and women would carry in their Obi (the sash around the kimono). The most expensive one they had was about 100,000 dollars. Though, according to Mr. Fujisawa, this was very cheap (they are art dealers so you are generally aloud to acutally touch pieces and they do sell the pieces to other dealers and collectors).

Next, they took us down stairs for tea and more education by Mr. Fujiswawa.
By the way, Mrs. Fujisawa was doing the translation for me-this was the extent of her english practice during the "lesson" though in the end, I think she thought it was very good and tugh work. Even though she was translating I was also doing my best to listen to the Japanese and I was surprised by how much I understood.
Mr. Fujisawa told me that the very best Asian museum was in a place called Kokyu (i think, or either Kyuko, either way, it's in Thailand, where they had just spent the weekend). He also talked about how he thought Mrs. Fujisawa's english was improving and for some reason said I was beautiful (this in english) and went so far as to say that it was different from "pretty". I think he was trying to thank me for the english lessons. In any case, Mr. Fujisawa did a very good job of making me and Yukari and Mrs. Fujisawa laugh, alot.

Eventually we went to the museum, a driver drove us all there! The exhibit was really interesting, but mostly because Mr. Fujisawa taughts us something about almost every piece. There's no way I can remember everything I learned but he has definatly sparked an interest in laquerware for me. My favorite piece was one that used a Murashima (it's supposed to imitate the image of an ink drop into water-I think I've spelled it wrong) design and the pieces that he used egg shell to create white in the laquer. It's hard to describe the way it works so you guys should definatly look up some images.

The funniest part, by far, was the end of the exhibit where they showed some works of students of Matsuda. Apparently, they are all horribly uncreative and origional. Terrible, according to Mr. Fujisawa. I have to sy, I liked a few of them but I can see how Matsuda's were superior.

The whole experience was fun.
I'm glad I get to meet Mrs. Fujisawa for another lesson next week. We're starting a book called "Kitchen" by Banana Yoshimoto. It's short stories which means Ms. Fujisawa will have enough time to read outside of lessons and I feel like the themes init are strong enough to discuss with her. I also really enjoy the stories so you guys should pick up the book as well.

We've basically moved into a mode of lessons that is purely Discussion and conversation oreiented so if anyone has ideas let me know!

Also, my apologies for the lack of updates.
I've been really busy with finals (two formal tests -on of those in three parts- and four papers). But I'll make it! Sapporo is coming up so thats keeping me motivated. I'll probably post all my papers in case anyone wants to read them. (I'm most excited about my Cinema paper, and I think my women's history paper is just going to be disapointing, dont even get me started on lit).

Hmmm...
in other news, though I have been feeling really strapped for cash (especially with Sapporo coming up), I did buy a new camers for 13000 yen, about 115 dollars. It's decent and I'm satisfied. It also means...more pictures!

I love and miss you all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting Jessica. Will we have a chance to see any laquerware while we're there?

Yay for buying a camera...I can't wait to see more pictures!

I've missed your updates and I'm SUPER jealous you get to go to Sapporo! Please take lots of pics while there!!

Love you,
Mom

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home