When In Tokyo...

This blog is a space to keep track of the year I will spend in Japan. Look forward to pictures, rants, and raves of all things Japanese. I'll also link up to a few other blogs. Please leave me a comment here and there to let me know you're still alive and reading.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Beach

So....
For those that don't know this week in Japan was "golden week"...a week with several different holidays (for instance today is children's day) and during which many Japanese get a good long weekend.
For me it was heaven. I got to take a break from classes and clubs and hung out with a lot of people. I did go out with the kyudo club on monday, my self introduction with all the yelling turned out well and the night was really fun. I'll put up pics of me in the suit later on, I look pretty strange. Later I went to Tokyo Dome city with some friends and rode Thunder Dolphin again, I still think it's one of the best rides I've ever been on.
Since this weeks weather was unusually gorgeous some friends and I decided we wanted to try out the beach. There's one in kamakura, about a 45 minute train ride from where I live. So we headed out.
I really wish I had gotten batteries for my camera. The beach looked fairly normal...people playing and wind surfers and normal surfers and all that. Only there were only like 5 people wearing bathing suits (minus the surfers and including our group of 3 people). I guess it may have been considered a little cold for bathing suits but not really...I felt a little awkward but got over it pretty fast.
The other thing is that at this beach they didn't have seagulls. Instead they had those big black crow birds, which weren't so bad, and hawks. Big hawks that are supposed to be all graceful and noble. Instead they were circling around the beach and stealing food! They stole two pieces of chicken right out of my friends hands! It was both hilarious and really freaky. I have a thing about birds, they basically scare the crap out of me when they are two close to my or in an enclosed space. These ones would dive right down and snatch whatever you were carrying! Silent and fast! I was cracking up the whole time and flinching every 5 seconds. I still had a blast though and nothing beats relaxing on the beach. I think when my friends say they want to go karaoke again I'll just suggest the beach instead. It's so much cheaper and a lot more relaxing^.^

In any case...
I should be writing a large entry about the Yasukuni Shrine tomorrow. I have a presentation on the matter on monday so....it's also loosely connected to issues with the comfort women and ww2....sooo....

Much Love!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beach sounds fun! you know jimmy is graduated by now! ...i think... i'm not there so i don't really know.

I still miss you! :D

9:06 AM  
Blogger Raquelita said...

Awesome... ha ha, you'll have to come to MY beach when you get back and you can tell me which is better. Love you1

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beach sounds nice. :)

I heard about a roller coaster accident in Japan...was that at Thunder Mountain?

I love you!
xoxo
Mom

12:11 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

no, I haven't watched any Kurosawa films, yet. I was just intrigued to learn that the Bare Naked Ladies lyrics weren't a made up name.

There was a debate about great Japanese films on the JET listserve up here, and that's what go me started.

...I just got a Tsutaya card a month ago. :$ Wow, was I missing out.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh, I miss you. Everything sounds so fun. Okkk, well much love,
Sara

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home